< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://www.radioactivechief.com/" > RadioActive Chief: SD Politics: An Issue of the Day?

RadioActive Chief

Stronghold of the VRWC Committee of Correspondence in northwest Moody County. Commenting on politics, culture, science, or whatever seems interesting. --- ILLIGITIMATI NON CARBORUNDUM! ---

28 March 2005

 

SD Politics: An Issue of the Day?

What do YOU drink: soda or pop?

There seems to be something of a discussion started over at S.D.P. concerning whether the fizzy non-alcoholic stuff is referred to as soda, pop, or (generically speaking), coke. They also have linked to this really neat map on the geographical distribution of this speech pattern. (I really like maps - they can carry such a RICH information content - I have a whole file box full of 'em from whenever I travel.

Personally, I grew up in the St. Louis area, and soda was definitely the drink du jour, but I also got some of the "coke" usage, since lots of folks around had come up from the south, like my granddad. Since moving up here to SD 25 years ago (??? sheesh - that sounds like a long time ago!) I have adopted usage of "pop" - just to avoid constant translation problems, don't ya know? You bet!

Why this discussion got started? I guess the legislature is out, so things have slowed down in the S.D.P. world right now.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Technorati search